Sunday 29 July 2012

Aspiring fashion student makes dress out of newspapers

A COLLEGE student from Bradley Stoke who never thought she could go to university looks set to achieve her dream of studying fashion design – after creating a dress made out of newspapers.

Chloe Wright, 18, who lives in Paddock Close, was inspired to make the eye-catching gown after receiving the paper for her A-level textiles exam in February.

Her chosen brief was to make something using recycled materials.

And after a trip to Paris in March the aspiring designer decided on a theme of black and white.

This led her to newspapers and luckily her grandad had enough stored up to help her out.

She said: "When I was in Paris I enjoyed looking at all the buildings – especially famous sights like the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame cathedral.

"The great architecture gave me some inspiration for what I was going to create.

"I had also researched some French designers including Jean Paul Gaultier and Christian Dior.

"Dior's recent collection used lots of black and white, and I was thinking about what could be recycled in those colours, which brought me to newspapers.

"Luckily my grandad had lots of old Daily Mail's stored up so I cut as much black and white text from them as I could and then pasted it all together.

"I then had 15 hours to put the dress together and I'm really happy with how it turned out."

To complete the French-themed frock Chloe embroidered stitching into the design of the Notre Dame stained-glass window and included an Eiffel Tower design on the corset.

She also created part of the headdress by weaving strips of cut up Diet Coke cans.

Chloe then asked her 14-year-old sister Charlotte to model the unique creation.

Her tutors at Patchway Community College were so impressed that they have predicted she will gain an A* grade. Hopefully it means she will achieve her dream of going to Falmouth University to study fashion design, for which she has a conditional offer.

"Until last year I'd wanted to be a beautician," she said.

"I'd always thought that university was for traditionally academic or "clever" people, I never really thought I could go.

"I'm now really excited about what the future holds and after university I hope that I could go on to be a fashion designer one day."

Aspiring fashion student makes dress out of newspapers

call of duty world at war dedicated server star wars battlefront 2 server manager staggy boyscout slayer

No comments:

Post a Comment